...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Director Robert Altman Dies

Robert Altman, who earlier this year received an honorary Academy Award for his lifetime's work as a director, has died in Los Angeles at age 81, his Sandcastle 5 Productions Company said Tuesday.

The director, who made such classics as M-A-S-H, Nashville and The Player, died Monday night, Joshua Astrachan, a producer at Sandcastle 5 Productions, tells The Associated Press.

The cause of death wasn't disclosed.

Altman was nominated for seven Academy Awards over his career, including Best Director for M-A-S-H in 1971, Nashville in 1976, The Player in 1993, Short Cuts in 1994 and Gosford Park in 2002 – but didn't win any of them.

He finally received an honorary Oscar this year. "No other filmmaker has gotten a better shake than I have," Altman said while accepting the award. "I'm very fortunate in my career. I've never had to direct a film I didn't choose or develop. My love for filmmaking has given me an entree to the world and to the human condition."

people

No comments:

Post a Comment